HIMSS has announced the promotion of Thomas M. Leary, MALA, CAE, FHIMSS to the position of Vice President, Government Relations, where he will lead HIMSS’ public policy initiatives and outreach to Congress and Federal agencies. The appointment is effective immediately. “Health IT has an important role in healthcare transformation,” said Leary, “I am thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to engage HIMSS and our members with Congress, federal agency leaders, and our healthcare community partners on the critical health IT policy issues facing our nation.”
Leary had served as HIMSS’ Senior Director of Federal Affairs since 2003, directing HIMSS’ public policy activities with federal agencies, including analysis and response to federal regulatory requirements and leveraging HIMSS member subject matter expertise in health IT public policy development.
“We conducted a thorough search, and interviewed a number of impressive candidates. Ultimately, it was clear that Tom was the best person for the job, and I’m delighted that he’s accepted,” said Carla Smith, Executive Vice President of HIMSS. “His longtime dedication to healthcare transformation, and his deep understanding of the important issues and players in Washington, DC will further HIMSS’s cause of improving the quality, safety, cost-effectiveness and access to care through the best use of IT.”
Leary has spent most of his career focused on federal healthcare policy and regulation development. His experience prior to joining HIMSS includes a position as Division Manager for Science Applications International Corporation's TRICARE Division, where he was engaged in the coordination of healthcare administrative outsourcing solutions for the Military Health System.
He also held several roles at the Department of Defense, including as the Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs) and as the Special Assistant for Health Care Policy in the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Legislative Affairs). Leary began his career in Washington working on Capitol Hill for Representative Les Aspin.
Tom Leary holds a Master of Arts degree in Legislative Affairs from the George Washington University and a Bachelor of Arts in History/Political Science from Rutgers College, The State University of New Jersey. He was awarded the HIMSS Award of Excellence for FY11 and received an award for exemplary civilian service from the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Leary replaces Dave Roberts, who was elected to the San Diego Board of Supervisors and began his term early this month.
Latest from Healthcare Technology Magazine News
- Global Healthcare IT Market Will Grow At A CAGR Of 5.7% to 2018
- BRHC Supports Centralisation Of Specialist Paediatric Services With Three New C-arms
- Procura Group of Companies Leads US Market
- CellTrak™ Achieves Major Milestone in roll-out of Latest Platform
- Introducing First-of-a-Kind PhysIQ Predictive Analytic Technology for Proactive Health Monitoring
- CareCloud Continues to Expand Market Footprint, Product Innovation, and Infrastructure for Growth in Second Quarter of 2014
- Mark VanderWerf Elected Chairman American Telemedicine Association’s Industry Council
- GlobalMed Announces New Alliance for Transforming Healthcare Delivery In The Middle East Through Telemedicine
- Secure Mobile Communication Market in Healthcare Industry
- The Promise of Integrated Healthcare: Health Information Systems