Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG; AEX: PHIA) today announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire Unisensor, an innovator in the field of optical analysis of fluids for diagnostic applications in health care, as well as other industries.
The Unisensor technology and team will strengthen Philips’ innovation capabilities in the field of patient sample analysis such as blood testing for applications in oncology therapy monitoring. These innovations aim to enhance patient triage and treatment at the point-of-care (i.e. near the patient), thereby helping to improve patient care at a lower cost. Upon closing of the transaction, which is expected in the third quarter of 2014 and subject to certain closing conditions, Unisensor, headquartered in Allerød, Denmark, will become part of Philips’ Healthcare Incubator within Philips Innovation, Group & Services. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
“Philips’ Healthcare Incubator has already produced promising early-stage businesses in the area of near-patient testing and monitoring for the hospital and the home,” said Perry van Rijsingen, General Manager for Philips Healthcare Incubator. “The acquisition of Unisensor will expand our technology platforms for miniaturized, mobile diagnostic solutions and support our ambition to become a leader in this new growth market for Philips.”
Unisensor was founded in 1997 and is a privately held company with approximately 35 employees. Unisensor’s current product line includes oCelloScope, an analytical instrument that is, amongst other applications, used within cancer cell studies on a research application basis. The company has partnerships with leading companies in animal health and water analysis, which Philips intends to continue.
Latest from Healthcare Technology Magazine News
- Global Healthcare IT Market Will Grow At A CAGR Of 5.7% to 2018
- BRHC Supports Centralisation Of Specialist Paediatric Services With Three New C-arms
- Procura Group of Companies Leads US Market
- CellTrak™ Achieves Major Milestone in roll-out of Latest Platform
- Introducing First-of-a-Kind PhysIQ Predictive Analytic Technology for Proactive Health Monitoring
- CareCloud Continues to Expand Market Footprint, Product Innovation, and Infrastructure for Growth in Second Quarter of 2014
- Mark VanderWerf Elected Chairman American Telemedicine Association’s Industry Council
- GlobalMed Announces New Alliance for Transforming Healthcare Delivery In The Middle East Through Telemedicine
- Secure Mobile Communication Market in Healthcare Industry
- The Promise of Integrated Healthcare: Health Information Systems