- mHealth services start to leverage apps to become commercially successful.
The market for mHealth services has now entered the commercialization phase and will reach $ 26 billion globally by 2017 says the new “Global Mobile Health Market Report 2013-2017” by research2guidance. Smartphone applications have begun to enable the mHealth industry to successfully monetize their services. Ralf-Gordon Jahns, Head of Research at research2guidance, points out “Our findings indicate that the long-expected mobile revolution in healthcare is set to happen. Both healthcare providers and consumers are embracing smartphones as a means to improving healthcare.”
Top mHealth publishers manage to generate more than 3 million free and 300.000 paid downloads in the USA on the iOS platform. The reach on other platforms and in other countries differ at lot but show also the increase of business potential for mHealth apps. Not only are consumers taking advantage of smartphones to manage and improve their own health, but also healthcare professionals. A significant number (15%) of mHealth applications are primarily designed for healthcare professionals. These include CME (Continued Medical Education), remote monitoring and healthcare management applications. Currently there are 97,000 mHealth applications in major app stores, 42% of them adhering to the paid business model.
With more and more traditional healthcare providers joining the mobile applications market, the business models will broaden to include healthcare services, sensor, advertising and drug sales revenues. “With the growing sophistication level of mHealth applications, only 9% of the total market revenue in the next 5 years will come from application download revenue” explains Patrick Houck Analyst at research2guidance. “84% of total mHealth application market revenue will come from related services and products such as sensors”.
The “Global Mobile Health Market Report 2013-2017” by research2guidance is a business guide for traditional healthcare companies, mHealth specialists as well as for mobile operators wishing to successfully engage into the new mHealth market. Please visit www.research2guidance.com for more information.
Latest from Healthcare Technology Magazine News
- Global Healthcare IT Market Will Grow At A CAGR Of 5.7% to 2018
- BRHC Supports Centralisation Of Specialist Paediatric Services With Three New C-arms
- Procura Group of Companies Leads US Market
- CellTrak™ Achieves Major Milestone in roll-out of Latest Platform
- Introducing First-of-a-Kind PhysIQ Predictive Analytic Technology for Proactive Health Monitoring
- CareCloud Continues to Expand Market Footprint, Product Innovation, and Infrastructure for Growth in Second Quarter of 2014
- Mark VanderWerf Elected Chairman American Telemedicine Association’s Industry Council
- GlobalMed Announces New Alliance for Transforming Healthcare Delivery In The Middle East Through Telemedicine
- Secure Mobile Communication Market in Healthcare Industry
- The Promise of Integrated Healthcare: Health Information Systems