Ascom Wireless Solutions, a global provider of mission-critical communication systems, has announced the launch of its ground-breaking mobile device, the Ascom Myco. It combines the capabilities of a smartphone with a set of features specifically designed for the healthcare environment, and especially for nurse communications and efficient management of clinical workflows.
The Ascom Myco has all the standard features of a smartphone, such as a touch screen, 3G and Wi-Fi, but in addition it has a robust design for withstanding knocks and drops, and also moisture and dust for maintaining hygiene. It has a long battery life as well as a rapid battery swap feature to keep the phone powered up without waiting for recharging. The size and weight are optimized so it can be operated with one hand and is comfortable to carry around on long nursing shifts.
Its range of communications capabilities make it a truly ground breaking product. Ascom’s long experience with voice over WiFi gives it a superior VoWiFi performance. A barcode reader enables patient and medicines identification for improved safety using current and coming technologies. Uniquely, the device has a top display that can show scrolling messages and a colored LED to show the priority of the message.
The integration software, Ascom Unite, connects with hospital information systems, patient monitors and nurse call systems. The user interface is designed to be easy to use and patient-centric. Nurses can be assigned to patients on their own device by simple ‘drag-and-drop’, giving them access to the patients’ records and lab reports and to receive automated messages, alerts and alarms for their allocated patients.
The interface makes it easy to filter and prioritize alerts, forward and escalate them, thus reducing the demand on the nurses. The nurse can see on the device what type of alert or alarm it is, the severity of the alarm, and which patient it is for, even when the device is in her breast pocket, as all necessary information is visible on the top display.
Claes Ödman, General Manager, Ascom Wireless Solutions, says, “When developing Ascom Myco, our vision was to contribute to give nurses a chance to spend more time with their patients and thereby increase patient safety and satisfaction. To fulfill our vision we focused on three important areas: to reduce alarm fatigue, mobilize the information to the point of care and improve clinical workflows. I am proud to say that we have managed to come very far within all three areas. By collaborating with healthcare facilities, “shadowing” nurses during entire shifts and applying user-centric design methods, we have developed Ascom Myco with the whole healthcare team in mind. Ascom Myco has an attractive total cost of ownership since it is built to last in the demanding healthcare environments. It is flexible and designed to easily integrate into the IT architecture of a hospital or a care facility."
Stefan Brämberg, Vice President Global Product Line Mobility, Ascom Wireless Solutions, concludes “Ascom Myco is a truly purpose-built smartphone for healthcare, targeted at caregivers and clinicians, which provides them with the information they need where it matters the most — at the heart of care. In addition, our middleware solution Ascom Unite, makes it a complete concept, creating a very powerful solution for mission-critical communication. We think that nurses are the heroes in healthcare and that they deserve their very own companion to assist them in their jobs, that’s why we named the smartphone Ascom Myco, where Myco stands for “My companion”.
Latest from Healthcare Technology Magazine
- Philips Debuts New Cloud-Based Clinical Analytics Dashboard To Enhance Patient Care And Staff Efficiency In Critical Care
- Mayo Clinic Reports Strong Performance in 2015
- Redox Extends Capabilities of Salesforce Health Cloud with Patient Data from Electronic Medical Records
- Divurgent Appoints Bert Reese Vice President, Portfolio Management and Innovation
- Sharp To Showcase Solutions At Healthcare Information And Management Systems Society Annual Conference
- Emanate Wireless Launches PowerPath Temp, Revolutionizes Healthcare Refrigeration Monitoring
- Mission Health Selects PeraHealth To Enhance Clinical Surveillance, Patient Safety
- UPMC Partners with Vivify Health for Mobile Population Health and Chronic Care Management
- Philips And Allianz Worldwide Partners Launch Connected Health Solution And Services In Germany
- Philips Enters New Agreement On Patient Monitoring Systems And Software With The Stockholm County Council