Challenges: To provide consultancy on a migration of core mission critical applications from BUPA's HP9000 server platforms onto the Sun™ E10000 Solaris™ based server
Benefits: Centralisation of more of BUPA's critical systems and data Full consolidation of costs associated with administration and rationalisation of systems to fully facilitate future flexibility and growth
BUPA has had a long-standing relationship with Fujitsu Services, who most recently installed a Millennium 2037A server to provide support and services to all of BUPA centres around the country.
BUPA appointed Fujitsu IT Services to oversee the migration of all of its systems from several disparate HP based servers to the mainframe capabilities of the Sun E10000 server allowing BUPA to provide a scaleable and reliable service. This project provided two challenges for BUPA. The first was to ensure a smooth migration from the existing servers to the E10000, without any loss of data or interruption in service.
As this was a new operating system, the second challenge was a lack of internal staff with Solaris skills. BUPA BUPA, one of the UK’s largest global health and care organisations with members in nearly 190 countries worldwide, recently commissioned Fujitsu IT Services to provide consultancy on a migration of core mission critical applications from its HP9000 server platforms onto the Sun™ E10000 Solaris™ based server.
As well as the installation and migration of the new server, Fujitsu provided Solaris based training for BUPA staff to enable them to maintain the new system architecture. This server migration was one of the most significant in the longrunning relationship between Fujitsu IT Services and BUPA. This project was a very significant undertaking, involving the move of mission critical applications and sensitive data from six HP servers onto both a new server and operating system platform. The move came as demand grew to consolidate costs and administration, as well the need to rationalise systems to enable flexibility and growth.
Given these challenges, Fujitsu was relied upon to project manage the installation, testing and migration as well as training BUPA’s internal IT staff. In addressing these challenges, Fujitsu IT Services had to ensure constant communication with BUPA throughout the delicate stages of migrating applications and data to the E10000 server.
"Fujitsu broke this project into two phases to ensure success," commented Andrew Caldwell Infrastructure Projects Group Manager for BUPA. "The first phase was getting all the hardware installed and the system running which took three months," he continues, "However, the second and most vital aspect of the whole project was the migration of systems from the HP servers to the Solaris platform of the E10000. Taking over a year, Fujitsu ensured BUPA where able to take on the process of a trouble free migration which required a lot of testing and relinking of all the systems to ensure that everything made the journey." The other challenge was the lack of Solaris programming skills within BUPA’s IT department. Fujitsu commenced a training programme with key BUPA personnel in order to transfer the necessary skills.
"We chose Fujitsu Services, as it is responsive, flexible and has a great track record in doing just this sort of project," stated Caldwell. "This project was typical of BUPA’s business process streamlining. The upshot of it is that we wanted to centralise more of our critical systems and data. We also had to fully consolidate the costs associated with administration and rationalise our systems to fully facilitate future flexibility and growth," said Caldwell.
Caldwell concludes, "Fujitsu had fully understood our needs and the importance of this project from the initial hardware installation, testing and migration as well as the Solaris training. Fujitsu ensured that we were fully prepared to cope with the new infrastructure once installed and implemented." Matthew Piercy, General Manager for Fujitsu IT Services commented "we are very pleased to continue our long-standing relationship with BUPA, with our 30 year history of supporting mission critical IT environments for large blue-chip clients such as BUPA, this challenge was the ideal candidate for us."
"We chose Fujitsu IT Services, as it is responsive, flexible and has a great track record in doing just this sort of project" Andrew Caldwell Infrastructure Projects Group Manager for BUPA "We chose Fujitsu IT Services, as it is responsive, flexible and has a great track record in doing just this sort of project…" "Fujitsu had fully understood our needs and the importance of this project from the initial hardware installation, testing and migration as well as the Solaris training…"
- Redox Extends Capabilities of Salesforce Health Cloud with Patient Data from Electronic Medical Records
- Emanate Wireless Launches PowerPath Temp, Revolutionizes Healthcare Refrigeration Monitoring
- Mission Health Selects PeraHealth To Enhance Clinical Surveillance, Patient Safety
- UPMC Partners with Vivify Health for Mobile Population Health and Chronic Care Management
- Philips Enters New Agreement On Patient Monitoring Systems And Software With The Stockholm County Council
- Four Leading U.S. Health Systems Sign On To Improve ICU Care With Philips Enterprise Telehealth Programs
- National Decision Support Company Launches CareSelect
- Siemens Healthcare Limited Expands Consolidation With New Assays
- TriZetto’s New QNXT Configuration Solution Enables Healthcare Payers To Rapidly Change, Launch Products For Success In Post-Reform Market
- Cognizant to Acquire TriZetto - Creating A Fully-Integrated Healthcare Technology And Operations Leader
Latest from Healthcare Technology Magazine News
- Global Healthcare IT Market Will Grow At A CAGR Of 5.7% to 2018
- BRHC Supports Centralisation Of Specialist Paediatric Services With Three New C-arms
- Procura Group of Companies Leads US Market
- CellTrak™ Achieves Major Milestone in roll-out of Latest Platform
- Introducing First-of-a-Kind PhysIQ Predictive Analytic Technology for Proactive Health Monitoring
- CareCloud Continues to Expand Market Footprint, Product Innovation, and Infrastructure for Growth in Second Quarter of 2014
- Mark VanderWerf Elected Chairman American Telemedicine Association’s Industry Council
- GlobalMed Announces New Alliance for Transforming Healthcare Delivery In The Middle East Through Telemedicine
- Secure Mobile Communication Market in Healthcare Industry
- The Promise of Integrated Healthcare: Health Information Systems